Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, right after Christmas. It's that one day out of the entire year where you have the green light to dress in whatever costume you want and be whoever you want in public, haha. I love getting creative and DIY everything from the costumes, decor and food. But, when it comes to Halloween decorated foods and desserts, I tend to pull myself away. While they may look really cool, they actually rarely taste good and are most likely loaded with unhealthy and unnatural ingredients.
When I saw these cookies on Pinterest a few years ago, I knew I had to recreate them with my ingredients; I mean it's totally something I could sink my teeth into. I have a weakness for sweets and chocolates, but only if they are made from natural ingredients of course! So, I made these for a Halloween party last year and they turned out amazing, in appearance as well as taste. I can't wait to make them again this year and have my son decorate them! How FUN!
You can use your favorite store bought chocolate cookies (soft not crunchy) or make your own dough and bake. Same goes with the frosting, either make your own or buy your favorite brand. I have listed my favorite brands below.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough package or your favorite cookie recipe (to make 24 cookies)
- ½ cup prepared vanilla frosting, tinted red with red food coloring
- 1¾ cups miniature marshmallows
- 48 slivered almonds
- Prepare cookies as directed on package or according to your favorite recipe. Cool on baking sheets; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut each cookie in half for a total of 48 halves.
- Frost the bottoms of all cookie halves with frosting.
- Place 6 marshmallow teeth around curved perimeter of 24 halves. For additional support, an additional marshmallow can be placed behind the teeth.
- Top with remaining 24 halves.
- Insert two almond slivers in between teeth for fangs. If fangs do not adhere, dip tips into frosting.
Below are my favorite brands that I have found to be the most natural and organic available on the market (all available at Whole Foods).